Monday, August 15, 2011

An unsuccessful induction? That can happen?

Yes, it can. I had no idea it was possible to have an unsuccessful induction. NO idea. But, sigh, I did. Also, if you are a guy, you probably do not want to read this...you've been warned.

First of all, I hate IV"s. Who doesn't. The nurse that did mine was so nice, and was so embarrassed when it took her 6, yes, 6 times to get my IV in. My veins kept blowing, and it definitely didn't help that I was passing out. My ears were ringing and everything was going dark and she slapped the oxygen on my face. I sat up higher in my bed, and felt much better, but none the less, everyone involved was traumatized. Mostly me though. I have the bruises to prove it.

After that, I thought I'd get hooked up to the pitocin and this party was going to get started. Lets have us a baby!
Not so much.
I was induced with Clare, and I started and the same place with her. 50% effaced and dilated to a 2. They just hooked up the Pitocin and everything progressed juuuust fine.
Not this time! I was told that they had to "ripen" my cervix first. So, no Pit, just little pill being inserted every 4 hours up my who ha. I know, that sounds so fun right?? After the 2nd pill, I stared to have labor pains, and I thought that things were actually going to work out...that is until the time for the 3rd pill came and they said I could not have one, I was contracting to much. OK, good, I guess? I got up and went for a walk. A vigorous one. That's what they told me to do. Then, when I laid back down, my contractions completely stopped. I called the nurse and told her this, so she said she would monitor me for about 30 minutes and come back with another pill. She never came back, in fact, no one came. After a few hours of waiting patiently, I call for a nurse. The nurse that came in was...cold. I said that "I feel like I've lost all my momentum, can I please have another pill? And I need another dose of antibiotics, and could you please check on the baby's heart rate?" You know, all the things that they should have been on top of. The nurse was so cold! That is the only word I can think of to describe her. She basically said too bad. Why? Because the screaming an whaling woman across the hall and the one down the hall were ready to deliver, and they were under staffed and it would be un safe to give me another pill, but they'd hook up the heart rate monitor and start another round of antibiotics for me. They literally just stopped giving me care, and didn;t even bother to tell me why for several hours. So, I was having labor pains for the better part of the day, and it was all for nothing. I finally got another pill ant 2:30 in the morning. Gee, thanks. That was pointless. It did nothing. Let me also say, that the nurses believed they were doing what was best for everyone by doing this. BUT, why in the world could they not understand why I was upset? AND, why could they not have popped in to my room to let me know that they were understaffed and would not be in for a while? Why would they just leave me hanging for several hours with no care and no answers?? I was not happy.

Saturday morning came, I had my good nurse back, and I expressed that I just wanted to be hooked up to the Pitocin, no more pills. The doctor came in and checked me and guess what??? I was right where I started on Friday. 50%, and 2, and -2 station. I am convinced that this is because they let my labor stop and so much time passed before I got another pill. The doctor agreed to start with pitocin. Great! Right. After another day on that, I was 70% effaced, and at a 3, still -2 station. I was in pain all day, and that is as far as I got. WHAT THE HECK!! This is soooo not like my other deliveries! I asked them to break my water, but since the baby's head was not engaged,(-2 station) they could not. I was told that if I did not make any more progress by 5:00, they wanted to take me off pitocin and give me pills again for the night, to let me rest. If you are anything like me you are laughing right now. I politely declined. I was going home. No way was I going to sit through another night in that horrible bed, with nurses that can't handle their job. Sure enough, no progress, but lots of pain. I was pretty upset. I ached all over from the uncomfortable bed and from having contractions all day for nothing, and my sore arms from all the attempted IV'S. I just wanted to go home. Did I mention that they had me on a clear liquid diet this entire time??? Yup...add hunger...no, add starvation in to the mix.

I left totally defeated. Here is my conclusion.
I wanted so badly to just have a plan. I wanted everything to be under control. I wanted to make sure that this baby comes at a convenient time for us, what with Daniel's surgery being on Tuesday. My will was not in line with Heavenly Fathers. After the induction was scheduled, I was relieved. I was so glad that I talked my doctors in to doing it. But, I had a nagging feeling that I shouldn't do it. You know what I am talking about? Just a little nagging feeling that I was making the wrong choice. I was so happy on the one hand to have it scheduled, but didn't have the peace of mind I was hoping for.

I guess I am just one of those people that needs to be slapped in the face in order to learn what Heavenly Father wants us to learn. I should have trusted HIS plan (whatever it is) and I never should have ignored that nagging feeling.
Oh well! What's done is done, and I learned a lesson. I can say that I will never ignore that nagging feeling again. Peace of mind is the way to go. Silly me, I should have learned this a looooong time ago. Obviously, Heavenly Father has another plan. So,I am just giving it all to Him. His plan HAS to better than mine anyway. And, if I go in to labor while Daniel is still in the hospital, well, I guess it will make for a great story that I can laugh about in oh, say, 50 years.

We are heading off to Portland tonight, and Daniel gets checked in to the hospital at 10:15 tomorrow morning. We are so gratful for a lot of things right now. We are so glad that he can have this surgery. It is a blessing, even though the timing is a little hectic. At least it happened now, rather than when we quit his job to start the apprenticship and he has no insurance for a while. We see all the blessings, and even though we are stressed, we feel very blessed. I can actually say that we don't even feel like it's a trial anymore. It's just lots of blessings. A great new career, insurance, a sweet new baby and the list goes on. Lucky us.   :)
It must be all the prayers all of you wonderful people are saying in our behalf. Thank you!

1 comment:

Heidi Ence said...

Oh goodness girl, you are TOUGH! I have total and complete faith that you can get through all of this, even if it doesn't happen the way you want it to.

I happen to be a "slap in the face" kind of girl too, sometimes. Its nice to know I'm not alone.

Don't worry, faith and prayers get us through everything. And I would have smacked that nurse. =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...