I went for a walk /run yesterday morning. I saw the rain at 7 o'clock and thought, UGH! I do NOT want to go out there! However, the thought of failing at this list of goals freaks me out, so, at 8:30, I pushed myself out the door. So, here I am walking in the pouring rain, and hoping beyond hope that I will be able to jog for more than 1 block. When I said I didn't even know where to start as far as my "become a runner" goal goes, this is what I meant. I can't breath when I exercise. It's not my body that quits, it's my lungs. I've been this way since I was a teenager. My sister told me about an over the counter inhaler I could try. (I would go to the doctor and get a real asthma inhaler, but no insurance). The over the counter inhaler you can buy is called primetene mist. It's epinephrine, and on the box it says "this product will no longer be available after December 31 2011." So, it's being taken off the market. Back to me walking in the rain. I walk for about 10 minutes, then I decide I am warmed up, I am going to try jogging. I take a puff from the inhaler, and HOLY COW, it felt like I had just swallowed a piece of sand paper! I cleared my throat a bit, sucked it up and started to jog...for 1 block. Couldn't breath. So, while I did feel like I was breathing a little better while I was walking, the jogging I am obviously not ready for. Hopefully if I keep on walking every day(or every other day) I can build up my lungs so I can handle a good run. I guess there is only one way up from rock bottom, and I just need to build myself up to it. I guess I have to start slow.
Also, I am adding 1 more goal to my list. I am quitting sugar! For real this time! I've tried before, and it is hard, but I am just so sick of feeling unhealthy, and I know that sugar is partly to blame for the way I feel. An old friend from my childhood, Stephanie, (thanks to facebook, I still know her! Amazing.) gave me a link to this blog, and I am really excited about it! It's done by a woman who eats no sugar or gluten and from what I can see, she is amazing with health. Going gluten free is something that interests me as well, but one thing at a time! Some of you may know that I am a serious diet coke addict. Well, about 3 weeks ago I stopped that cold turkey too! I am pretty proud of myself. If I can quit that, I feel very optimistic about quiting sugar.
3 comments:
I'm trying to do the running thing too, and my lungs are the hardest part for me. You've got the right idea though, I think you just have to be consistent, and your body will learn to get used to it.
I'm glad you liked the link. Amy's got some really great recipes! I've made a few, and I hope you find some that will help you :)
I'm about to do the no sugar thing, and I'm pretty scared of it. I don't eat a lot of sugar, but I don't know how I can live without it completely! I'll have to check back here periodically to see how you do with it.
hey after I have this stinking baby maybe we can jog run walk together. I've tried with Kyle but I always feel like I'm slowing him down when I can't breathe. I've also found that having someone else waiting for you to come outside makes a big difference in my motivation.
Of course, the mechanics of this suggestion don't really work because we live in different towns, but it would be so nice to try with somebody at the same physical level as me!!!
ps all inhalers are kinda like that. A few taste the way fertilizer smells, just as an added bonus :)
I was reading through your blog today, and I got to this post and I had to laugh at the irony because I came across the same blog in June and made a similar decision to go off sugar. Although I am not completely avoiding all sugar, I am done with desserts (except once a week- gotta have a cheat day or I don't know if I could really do it) and most sweetened things. I feel pretty good, and although I have fallen off the wagon a few times, I have been able to get back on. I can tell a difference in my energy level, and it has also helped me (along with some exercise) loose baby weight much faster this time (took 5 months this time instead of 12 months like last time to loose the weight). So way to go for making this goal! And I am impressed with you giving up diet coke too- not easy!
Post a Comment